Wednesday, April 6, 2011

We Got The Beat

In the summer of 1988, I attended former Go-Gos lead singer/song writer Belinda Carlisle's concert at the Universal Greek Amphitheater in Los Angeles. During the middle of the show, while walking through the nearly empty concourse/concession area I saw an impossibly young Johnny Depp of the new Fox Network's laughable series, 21 Jump Street, and an even younger Charlie Sheen, son of bad boy actor and soon-to-be mayor of Malibu, Martin and brother of better known Brat-Packer, Emilio Estevez, leaning surreptitiously against the wall as if discussing a drug deal. From the corner of my eye, I saw the pint of what appeared to be Jack Daniels going back and forth. Later, as the show's ending loomed I was looking for friends to join a Green Room party. As I sailed through the concession area, there stumbled the two future Hollywood icons: the one who was destined for greatness was a little sloppy, but managed to keep things under control. The other one? He looked like a drunken teenager after his prom as he hurled in public for all the world to see. Imagine my surprise that within a couple of years seeing him cast by Oliver Stone in 'Platoon' and playing opposite Michael Douglas in 'Wall Street'... Some things never change...

No comments: